Festive Recipe From Our Resident Chef
With over 23 years’ experience and now currently the Head Chef at one of the busiest Cheltenham restaurants, Neil Date has kindly shared his favourite festive recipe just in time for Christmas.
Here at the Cheltenham Park Hotel, we understand Christmas is about family, fun and a time to indulge in great food and drink, but no one at home wants to spend all day in the kitchen and miss out on the festivities. So our talented Head Chef has produced a twist on household favourite that will add a real wow factor to your festive season.
His carefully selected all-time favourite, Beef Fillet with Horseradish, Prosciutto & a Rich Red Wine Jus, offers a modern alternative to the traditional turkey roast.
- Serves: 8 people
- Prep time: 20 mins
- cooking time: 1 hour (depending on how you like to serve Beef) and a little extra time for resting.
- 900g beef fillet, try and ensure an even thickness
- 50 grams of butter
- 400g bag shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 200ml red wine
- 700ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 12 slices prosciutto
- Good pinch of finely chopped parsley
- Fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to serve (optional)
- Black Pepper and Salt to Season
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and fry the beef fillet for 5 mins, turning it to seal and brown it all over. Remove from the pan and leave to stand and cool. Add the shallots to the same pan and cook, stirring, until soft and golden. Turn off the heat and tip out two-thirds of the shallots into a bowl. Add the horseradish and some black pepper to the bowl, then blitz with a hand blender to make a coarse purée.
- Meanwhile, pour the red wine and stock into the pan with the remaining shallots. Blend the cornflour with 3 tbsp water, add to the pan with the redcurrant jelly, and stir until thickened. Season to taste and allow to bubble for at least 5 mins until it has become a sauce. Cool and chill until ready to serve.
- Lay 8 slices of prosciutto in 2 overlapping rows. Spread the horseradish mixture on top and scatter evenly with the herbs. Place the fillet on top, cover the ends with the last 4 slices, and tightly wrap the prosciutto around the beef. Keep chilled until ready to cook.
- Remove the beef from the fridge at least 30 mins before you are ready to start cooking. Heat oven to 220C/200C for a fan assisted oven or gas mark 7. Prepare a baking tray linen with parchment paper, place meat on and roast for 30-40 mins, depending on how you like to serve Beef. (You can test how done the Beef is by using a digital thermometer and inserting into the centre – it should be 50C for rare, 55C for medium rare and 60C for medium.) Leave to rest for around 10 mins, a great time to dish up the veg, then slice and serve with the wine sauce. You can add extra Thyme here to present.
If this delicious festive recipe has your juices flowing, then why not book a table at our Lakeside Restaurant. Please call 01242 222021 to make your reservation at one of the finest restaurants in Cheltenham, or email us on email@example.com for further information.